Texas Green Chili
You may not know it but the first bowls of chili were made by the " Cookie " as he was known out on the trails with the cattle drives. In Texas chili does not contain beans. Neither does our recipe here for green chili. You can of course add beans if you wish but just don't do it in Texas. You might get shot.
- 3 lb
- boneless pork loin cut into one inch cubes.
- 6 Tbsp
- bacon drippings or oil
- 2 c
- yellow onion diced up fine.
- 3 Tbsp
- southwest chipotle powder.
- 2 Tbsp
- minced fresh garlic.
- ( 10 ounce cans ) green chilies.
- 10 ounce can spicy tomatoes with green chilies.
- 3 c
- white potatoes diced small.
- two thirds cup all purpose flour
- 10 c
- chicken broth
How to Make Texas Green Chili
- 1Brown your pork cubes in a tablespoon of the bacon drippings until the pork is brown on all sides. Remove the browned pork cubes with a slotted spoon so you leave any drippings in the pan.
- 2Add the remaining bacon drippings and your onions and garlic to the pan and cook until the onion and garlic are cooked soft but not brown.
- 3Use a spoon to remove the garlic and onions. If you don't have four tablespoons of drippings left in the pan add enough vegetable oil to make four tablespoons of oil in the pan.
- 4Now you will need a wire whisk. Add your flour to the pan and stir with the wire whisk all the time. You want your flour to brown to the color of a old copper penny. Stir all the time so your roux does not burn. If it happens to burn you'll have to start with a new pan and four tablespoons of oil and add fresh flour again. Once it is brown set it off the fire.
- 5Now you'll need at least a six quart crock pot or slow cooker. Add all the ingredients but four cups of chicken broth and the roux to your crock pot.
- 6Turn the crock pot on high. Pour the chicken broth into the cooled pan where you have the roux and use the wire whisk to mix it together very well. Now pour the mixed roux into the crock pot with your other ingredients and stir to mix very well together.
- 7Put the lid on the crock pot and cook for eight hours. Here your going to end up with a perfectly cooked chili. Please follow the instructions carefully and you'll have one of the best pots of chili that you'll ever taste in your life.
- 8Serve your chili in bowls over big squares of cornbread and offer sides like sliced jalapenos, pinto beans, diced onions, your favorite shredded cheese, sour cream and guacamole. With these sides served over cornbread your going to have a Texas Chili Feast.