★★★★★ 1 vote5
- head of cabbage, sliced thin, not chopped
- 1 large
- onion, sliced, not chopped ( i prever vidalia, but any will do)
- 2 large
- tomatoes, diced
- 1 dash(es)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pkg
- salt pork, chopped or diced
How to Make Swamp Stew
- 1In a dutch oven over medium heat, saute the diced salt pork until done. Do not remove from the pot. Reduce to medium low heat.
- 2Place the sliced cabbage on top of the salt pork. Place the sliced onion on top of the cabbage.
Place the tomatoes on top of the onions.
Add a dash or two of cayenne pepper to taste.
- 3Place the lid on your dutch oven and walk away.
If you are cooking over an open fire, you should check this every 30 minutes or so to ensure that you don't cook it too hot and burn it. If you're cooking on a stove top, check it about every hour, giving it a quick stir each time.
- 4Cooking time will vary depending on how "done" you want the vegetables. I usually let it simmer for 2-3 hours. The vegetables will cook themselves down, making their own juice. Serve it hot with cornbread and watch it disappear!