SKILLET-BRAISED BRATWURST AND SAUERKRAUT
Recipe: Simple Weeknight Favorites (Taste of Home)
- 2 lb
- sauerkraut, rinsed (not canned)
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- 2 slice
- juniper berries
- bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- 1-1/2 lb
- bratwurst, cut into 3-inch lgths.
- onion, halved and sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- granny smith apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 4 tsp
- packed brown sugar
How to Make SKILLET-BRAISED BRATWURST AND SAUERKRAUT
- 1In a large bowl, combine sauerkraut, broth, bacon, juniper berries and bay leaves. Cover and microwave until kraut is softened, about 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add bratwurst and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 3Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt to the empty skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in sauerkraut mixture, apple and brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Nestle the bratwurst into the kraut, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until sausages are no longer pink in center, 10 to 12 minutes. Discard bay leaves and bacon, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.