Olde Country Cabbage & Franks
½ smallhead of red cabbage, shredded
1 pkgrefrigerated sauerkraut
½ smallsweet onion, very thinly sliced
2 smallwhite sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
½ cunsweetened applesauce
-salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Olde Country Cabbage & Franks
- Shred cabbage (food processor is easiest) Peel & cube sweet potatoes.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a covered skillet on low heat until softened. (Add oil, butter or water as needed.)
- Add sausages along with the onions to the skillet. Cook until onions are very soft. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Drain and squeeze the sauerkraut until it is dry. Fold it carefully into the skillet.
- Meanwhile: Cook the shredded cabbage in a large pot with a very small bit of water until softened. Add the applesauce and stir gently until combined.
- Fold everything together and serve, preferably with some German Duseldorf mustard