Lentils with Polish Sausage... Croatian Style !
I hope you all enjoy this fine Croatian version of Lentil Soup :-)
1 lblentils, dry
1 1/2 lbitalian sausage
1/4 colive oil
1 mediumonion, finely chopped
1carrot, finely chopped
2garlic cloves, minced
1-2 sprig(s)italian parsley, finely minced
How to Make Lentils with Polish Sausage... Croatian Style !
- Clean lentils well by soaking them briefly in cold water, changing the water at least once...
- Put them in a 2-1/2-quart saucepan, add a chicken boullion cube and cold water to cover, and bring to a boil; lower heat to simmer and cook until not quite done, about 45 minutes...
- Meanwhile, slice sausages once length wise and then cut slices from each half of the sausages...
- In a medium skillet, brown the sausage slices, then add and saute the onion, carrot, garlic and parsley in the olive oil over medium heat until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are almost done...
- To the lentil pot, add the sausage and vegetables, season with pepper, and mix gently using a wooden spoon...
- In a small sauce pan you will make a roux... Warm enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and add some of the liquid from the lentils and a couple of tablespoons of flour...
- Brown the roux lightly then transfer to Lentil Soup and bring to one last boil, this will help thicken the soup a bit...
Adjust seasonings to your taste...
- Serve with Croutons, garnish with some sliced Green Onions and if you like sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese on top... Enjoy :-)