J. White Harris
1-1/4 cdry black-eyed peas
1-1/2 cchopped onion
3 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 tspblack pepper
1/4 tspcrushed red pepper
8 ozham hock or salt pork
8 ozchopped smoked ham or bacon
1 cuncooked white rice
·tabasco sauce, salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Hoppin' John
- Put black-eyed peas and water into a pot over high heat. Bring to boiling, cover the pot and boil for two minutes, then remove from heat and set aside for 1 hour.
- Put the pot back over medium high heat, add the onion, garlic, black pepper, crushed red pepper, bay leaf, and ham hock or salt pork. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the ham or bacon and simmer 1 more hour, uncovered, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice as directed on the package.
- Remove the ham hock or salt pork and the bay leaf from the pot and discard. Stir in the cooked rice. Stir in Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cornbread.