Glazed Smoked Picnic Ham
This is using a smoked picnic ham which is not only smoked but salted heavily to preserve it. The method used REALLY removes the salt from the ham reducing the sodium content dramatically for those concerned about sodium consumption.
Plus I have added my own flare to the recipe to cut down the sweetness.
Prep time includes the boiling process which removes the salt.
- smoked picnic ham
- 9 Tbsp
- mustard, ground (separated in 3 tbsp batches)
- 2 Tbsp
- cloves, ground (or whole cloves if you dont have ground)
- 2 medium
- yellow onions, quartered (set aside)
- 1 medium
- apple, cubed (set aside)
- 3/4 c
- 1/4 c
- apple cider
- 1 tsp
- mustard, ground
- 1/4 tsp
- ground garlic or 1 small fresh clove finely minced
How to Make Glazed Smoked Picnic Ham
- 2Timing from the time water starts to boil, boil ham for 20 minutes and drain water completely. Repeat this process 2 more times.
After 3rd drain allow to cool a bit to handle.
- 3At this point you will want to remove the rind but leave a little fat layer.
Score the ham once the rind is removed
Sprinkle lightly with the ground cloves (if you dont have ground cloves you can press 1 whole clove into each diamond section)
- 4Place the picnic in a covered roasting pan
Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 1 hour.
- 5While the ham is roasting, prepare your glaze.
Then quarter your onions then peel and cube your apples.
- 6After an hour of roasting remove ham from the oven.
Put quartered onions and cubed apples in bottom of roasting pan.
Now glaze your picnic using a brush and cover it well. Cover roasting pan and put back in the oven for another 30 minutes.
Remove and glaze once again. Now you can pour and brush if you like depending on how thick you want the glaze. Put back in oven uncovered roasting for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
Take Ham out of pan and put on platter allow to sit while you make gravy from the pan drippings.
Once gravy is made you can slice the ham off the bone and serve.
**Note** this gravy will tend to be a bit sweet but is very tasty.
- 7This ham goes well with mashed potatoes, mashed rutabaga, all types of squash and fresh green beans.