Vegetarian friendly Apple Mac & Cheese
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted, plus some for dish
- kosher salt
- 1 lb
- medium pasta shells, or a fun pasta of your choice
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp
- mustard powder ( i omit due to allergy)
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 c
- apple juice
- 1 lb
- montery jack cheese, shredded (can use daiya brand)
- 1/2 lb
- extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups total) (can use daiya brand)
- 1/2 c
- sour cream, lite (or non-daity)
- 1 large
- granny smith apple, or more to add to your liking
- sleeve ritz crackers, or butter crackers, get creative here :)
- 1 lb
- meat of your choice to make a main dish! original recipe called for apple-sausage, sliced. i've used turkey kielbasi, but you can add whatever you like if you so choose!
How to Make Vegetarian friendly Apple Mac & Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pasta as directed, al dente. Drain and set aside. ( I add a small amount of EVOO, & mix through to keep pasta from clumping together).
Prepare baking dish, cover inside dish with melted butter or pam spray, butter flavored.
- 2Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chopped apples, mustard powder, cayenne, and 1 tsp salt to cook, stirring until apples are half cooked. About 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in the flour and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the apple juice and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened slightly. About 8 more minutes.
- 4Slowly stir in about 3/4 EACH of the cheeses into the sauce until smooth. **note, daiya cheese will take a little longer to melt. 2-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
If adding meat, cook separately.... then add at this point to the sauce. Stir in the pasta and the sour cream.
- 5Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed crackers and the remaining cheese. Cover & bake until bubbly, 25 -30 minutes, uncover & bake additional 10 minutes. Remove From oven & allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.