Red & White Quinoa Risotto
I made this risotto for a couple of girlfriends the other nite for dinner. I decided to incorporate quinoa. I had both red and white, so that is what I used. If you only have one kind, than use that. The red one can be hard to find. It turned out wonderful, and my family and friends loved it. Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp
- each of butter and evoo
- 8 oz
- cremini mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 medium
- white onion, chopped
- 3-4 clove
- garlic, grated
- 2/3 c
- short grain or arborio rice
- 1/2 c
- each of white quinoa and red quinoa
- 1/2 c
- white wine
- 4-5 c
- chicken, vegetable stock or broth
- 1 1/2 c
- frozen peas, thawed
- 2-3 Tbsp
- heavy cream
- 1 large
- lemon, zest and juice
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Red & White Quinoa Risotto
- 1Rinse quinoas and rice well in a fine meshed sieve. Set aside to drain while prepping the onions, mushrooms and garlic. Heat stock in a saucepan and keep hot while making this risotto.
- 2Heat oil and butter in a large saute pan. Saute mushrooms and onions for a few minutes until almost opaque and mushrooms lightly browned. Add garlic the last few minutes.
..add rice and quinoa and cook a few more minutes to toast rice and quinoa a little.
Add wine to deglaze pan. Stir until wine evaporates.
- 3Add stock 1 ladle at a time and cook and stir until it evaporates. I don't stir constantly but I do every minute or so.
After about 20 minutes, taste test for doneness of the grains. Keep stirring in broth and testing until done. If you need more liquid, you can add water.
- 4The last few minutes, add peas, the zest and juice of the lemon. Stir to combine and cook until peas are done. Finish by stirring in the cream. (optional, but a hint JAP"s Susan Simmons learned in a culinary class)I liked the added creaminess.
Salt and pepper if necessary.