Melanie's White Lasagna
Using Gorgonzola, instead of a traditional mozzarella adds such a decadent flavor to the lasagna, while still keeping the recipe light. This dish was a hit with the whole family!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
8 ozno-cook lasagna noodles, preferably whole-wheat
5 mediumportobello mushroom caps, diced
3 largesweet onions, thinly sliced
4 cbaby spinach
2 cnonfat ricotta cheese
2 cnon-fat milk
2 ozcrumbled gorgonzola cheese
1/2 cchopped fresh basil
1/2 cred wine
4 Tbsplight butter (i used "i can not believe its butter")
2 Tbspwhole wheat flour
How to Make Melanie's White Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- To prepare onion filling: heat 3 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown and very soft, about 20 minutes. (If they begin to stick, add water 1/4 cup at a time to release them and prevent burning.) Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until just beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and 1 teaspoon salt and continue cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pepper.
- To prepare spinach filling: Place spinach, ricotta, basil, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor and process until smooth.
- To prepare white sauce: Heat 1 tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and stir until bubbling, about 30 seconds.
- Gradually whisk in milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking, until the sauce has the consistency of thick gravy, about 1 minute.
- Add Gorgonzola and gently whisk until it is melted. Remove from the heat. (The sauce will continue to thicken as it sits.)
- To assemble lasagna: Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray
- Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in the prepared pan. Place a layer of noodles over the sauce.
- Spread half of the spinach filling over the noodles and top with one-third of the onion filling.
- Evenly spread 1/2 cup white sauce over the onions.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, the remaining spinach filling, half the remaining onion filling and half the remaining white sauce.
- To finish, top with a third layer of noodles, spread the remaining onion filling over the noodles and then spread or dollop the remaining white sauce on top.
- Bake until hot and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 equally sized servings.