★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 cshredded zucchini
1/4 cchopped tomato
1/4 csliced mushrooms
2 Tbspchopped scallions
3-5 slicebacon, crumbled
5 slicemonterey jack cheese
3 mediumpitas, plain or whole wheat
5lettuce leaves, optional
How to Make Garden Pita-Pocket Sandwiches
- Cook the bacon medium well. Drain on paper towel and allow to cool enough to handle. Crumble into small pieces, and set aside.
- Prepare the veggies, and put everything into a large mixing bowl. Add crumbled bacon.
- Using a fork, toss lightly with mayo until well combined.
- Cut each pita circle into half-moons and open gently. Place a leaf of lettuce, if you like, and a slice of cheese in each pocket, then fill with 3-4 tablespoons of the veggie mixture.
- Best served immediately, at room temp. If necessary to delay serving I recommend mixing and filling at the last minute.
* Great way to use left over zucchini noodles
* Switch it up with grape tomatoes or sun dried
* We've tried using other cheeses, but the Jack really is "IT"!
* You may be tempted to substitute ingredients, but I don't recommend it -- there's something about *this* combination that just sings. Enjoy :)