Farro Risotto with Squash, Cranberries and Pecans
1 mediumshallot, chopped
1/2 cwhite wine, dry
4 cchicken broth or stock
2-3 cbutternut squash, cubed
1 cglazed pecans, chopped
1 cdried cranberries
1-2 Tbspmaple syrup
How to Make Farro Risotto with Squash, Cranberries and Pecans
- Preheat stock to a warm simmer, and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place butternut squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray with olive oil. Roast in oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until tender. When done, transfer to large bowl and drizzle syrup on top and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the shallots and cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the shallots begin to soften and caramelize. Add the farro and toast it in the pot for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the wine and simmer gently until all the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the warm broth into the farro mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the broth is absorbed. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup of broth at a time, until the farro is cooked through but still firm, approximately 30 minutes.
- When the farro is done, stir in the paprika and cinnamon.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the bowl with the squash, stir in the cranberries and pecans.
Serve. You can also just add the pecans as a topping instead.