Citrus Marinated Leg of Lamb
Rose Mary Mogan
- leg of lamb, boned 6-8 3/4 pounds
- 1/2 c
- lemon juice
- 1 c
- orange juice
- 2 c
- white wine
- 3 Tbsp
- penzey's bavarian seasoning(a blend of rosemary,garlic, thyme,bay leaves, sage & crushed brown mustard)
- 3 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 6 clove
- garlic minced plus 1 tbs. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- steak seasoning ( more or less depending on size of roast)
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder
- 10-12 clove
- garlic cut into slivers
- 1/3 c
- olive oil or non stick cooking spray
FOR THE LEG O LAMB
How to Make Citrus Marinated Leg of Lamb
- 1In a medium size bowl add all of the marinade ingredients together and pulse with a submersion blender , food processor or blender, till blended, and somewhat emulsified. Then add roast to a large gallon bag, add the marinade, and try to coat the entire roast. Close if possible. Then put in a second gallon bag in case there are leaks and place in a large bowl. Marinade over night. Turn a few times to assure all of roast is being marinated.
Remove from refrigerator at least 1 to a hour and a half before ready to roast in oven. This allows the meat to come to room temperature, so as not to prolong the cooking time. Pat dry with paper towels. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2While roast is resting. Take the small tip part of a sharp knife and make little deep holes into the roast,you may need to wiggle tip of knife around a bit to get garlic cloves to fit. Do this over the entire surface of the roast.If possible work pieces of garlic into the crevices where lamb has been tied together with string.
- 3Now mix the steak seasoning with the garlic powder in a small bowl, and sprinkle liberally over the entire surface of the roast, both top and bottom. now drizzle with the olive oil or spray liberally with the non stick cooking spray. Spray meat rack with cooking spray, and set in large roasting pan.
Now add roast to rack, and place in preheated 450 degree F. oven. Allow to roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- 4Now reduce temperature to 325 degrees F. and allow roast to cook until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. for medium rare. Check after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Keep in mind temperature will rise at least about 10 degrees after removing from oven.Each time you open the oven door you loose heat, so minimize how often you open the oven door.
- 5During last 15 minutes of cooking. Brush top of roast with a combination of about one half cup of Mint jelly mixed with 2 Tablespoons of white wine. Brush over surface of lamb. Garnish with lemon Halves and sprigs of Rosemary or parsley if desired.
- 6Temperatures for meat, Rare 135 Degrees F. Medium Rare145 Degrees F. Medium 160 degrees, Well done 170 degrees F. Allow roast to stand at least 10 minutes before carving. I use an electric knife, for nice even slices.
- 7Note if the roast has a bone in it it will take longer to cook. If the bone has been removed, please make sure it has been tied with string for even cooking. Your roast will depend on the size as to when it is cooked to your taste, the larger the roast the longer it will take, if you put it in the oven cold it will take longer to cook also. My inspiration for this recipe came from simply Recipes web site and Start cooking, I made changes but they were my inspiration for this recipe. My husband was very pleased. It is time consuming but worth the efforts.