Asparagus Stuffed Yam
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- medium to large yam
- 8 oz
- asparagus, fresh
- medium onion
- 1/2 clove
- elephant garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1-2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- brown sugar, firmly packed (to taste)
- maraschino cherries and juice
How to Make Asparagus Stuffed Yam
- 1Heat oven to 400. Wash yam. Place on center oven rack to bake until soft and dripping sweet, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 2When yam is removed from oven to cool, chop onion and garlic; put butter and olive oil in small to medium sized skillet; add onion and garlic; saute.
- 3While onion and garlic saute, wash asparagus, remove stalks and place tips aside. Break tips in half and add pieces to onions and garlic, cook until tender. Turn off heat.
- 4Cut yam in half lengthwise. Skin should peel off easily. Be gentile to keep skin in tact for stuffing. In bowl with yam add sauteed asparagus and brown sugar. Mash together until well mixed. Carefully position skin in hand to stuff with mixture. Place both halves on small, lipped baking sheet. Lean them together to help keep their shape. Take 4 to 6 maraschino cherries and press into yam halves. Pour cherry juice over both. Bake at 375 for 30 to 45 minutes.
- 5These flavors combined worked well together. Enjoy!