1 Pot Italian Sausage and Cabbage by Maggie
Plus it is super low in calories, high in great vitamins and delicious!
This recipe came about, as so many of mine do, because I was cleaning out the fridge.
I found inspiration in some leftover roasted mushrooms and roasted carrots. We love cabbage so I always have that on hand.
Down to the freezer and I found Italian Sausage patties ... perfect !
I hope you will enjoy this quick and easy meal and please feel free to add your own spin to it with whatever you have leftover !
1/4 lbsweet italian sausage ***
1/2 cthinly sliced carrots
1/4 cthinly sliced celery
1 cmushrooms - quartered
1/2 croughly chopped yellow onion
1/2 croughly chopped green bell pepper
4 cthinly sliced green cabbage
1/4 tspred pepper flakes if desired
·salt and pepper
How to Make 1 Pot Italian Sausage and Cabbage by Maggie
- *** The sausage can be pork or chicken or turkey .. the choice is yours.
If you have leftover, already cooked carrots and mushrooms you can just add them at the end for a quick warm up.
- Cut your sausage into bite size pieces. Put into a 2 qt pot and saute until lightly browned.
Remove from pot, leaving the drippings in the pot, and set aside.
- To the pan drippings add your carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until carrots are slightly tender. The thinner you slice them the faster they will cook.
Once the carrots and celery are tender, add the mushrooms, onions and bell pepper and saute until onions are tender.
Remove from pot and add to the sausage you already have cooked.
- Add the cabbage to the pot and stir until it begins to wilt down.
Top the cabbage with your sausage and vegies.
Sprinkle with the chili flakes if you are using them.
Cover and drop the heat to simmer.
- Simmer - covered - for about 12 minutes.
Stir after 12 minutes then add about 2 Tbsp of water if needed.
Or if you are like us let the cabbage caramelize a bit for a great flavor.
- Test the cabbage for your desired doneness.
Once you are happy with the doneness of the cabbage remove from heat and serve.
Dress with Tamari Sauce or Soy Sauce and then salt and pepper if desired.