Turkey Chili with Barley and Black Eyed Beans
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 19-oz can whole or diced tomatoes with juice or 28 ounce can and omit the tomato paste.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp seeded and minced jalapeño peppers or 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup drained and rinsed black eye beans or black beans (one 15 oz. can drained)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions, whole onion
- 1/3 cup grated lower-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or basil
- 1 tsp
How to Make Turkey Chili with Barley and Black Eyed Beans
- 1In a large nonstick pan sprayed with vegetable spray, heat the oil, then add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes or until the onions are browned.
- 2Add the turkey and sauté for 8 minutes until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes and juice, stock, barley, peppers, basil, oregano, bay leaves, beans and tomato paste, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or just until the barley is tender, breaking the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
Taste for seasoning.
- 3Garnish each serving with green onions, cheese, sour cream and parsley.
- 4Per serving
Protein 27 g
Net carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 11 g
Saturated fat 3.6 g
Cholesterol 67 mg
Sodium 165 mg
Fibre 9.5 g