How to Make TRADITIONAL TURKEY
- Wash the turkey and pat dry. Rub with vegetable oil or melted butter, rub with turkey seasoning rub.
- Place in a large roasting pan with a rack, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, uncover the turkey and place in the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Baste turkey every 15 minutes or so. A turkey takes roughly 15 minutes per pound to roast a 12 lb. bird should take about 3 hours.
- Keep a on the turkey, a meat thermometer should read 160 degrees inserted in the thick thigh meat when done
- Remove the turkey from the oven when the thermometer has popped out, the juices run clear when pierced in the thigh with a knife or a meat thermometer reading 160 degrees. Let the turkey rest 10 minutes before carving.