Earthy, Black Bean Soup with Fresh Relish
This soup is so earthy and comforting, especially on a cold winter evening. Enjoy!
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This soup takes a little time to make, but is very good. It is also a great way to use a leftover Christmas ham bone. This soup has a lot of flavor going on. The fresh relish adds a punch of flavor and makes the soup really good. Keep an eye on the liquid, I did have to add a tad more while cooking. Don't have a ham bone? Substitute with a thick ham steak. The Test Kitchen
- 1 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c
- each, small dice: sweet onion, carrot and celery
- 3 large
- cloves garlic, chopped fine
- jalapeno, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp
- ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 2 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 sprig(s)
- fresh cilantro
- 8 c
- no salt added, vegetable stock (2-32oz cartons)
- 1 large
- bay leaf, dried
- 2 lb
- small, black beans, that have been sorted, rinsed and soaked the day before, then rinsed and drained, for use in this recipe
- meaty, smoked ham bone
How to Make Earthy, Black Bean Soup with Fresh Relish
- 1The day before making this soup, sort black beans, removing any not so good looking beans and or rocks that may have gotten into the bag. Rinse beans thoroughly to remove any dirt. In a large container with lid, cover beans with water so that there is about an inch of water above the beans, cover and refrigerate over night.
- 2When ready to make soup, drain soaking liquid from beans. Rinse thoroughly and drain; set aside.
- 3Have vegetables chopped and spices measured and ready to go.
- 4In a large soup pot or dutch oven, over medium heat, add oil.
Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionaly until soft.
- 5Add garlic, jalapeno and spices; cook until fragrant.
- 6Add broth, beans and bay leaf; stir thoroughly. Add ham bone. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are tender. About 3-4 hours; the longer the beans cook the thicker the broth becomes.
Before serving, remove bay leaf and cilantro sprigs; toss.
Remove ham bone and set aside until cool enough to handle. When cool enough, remove meat from bone, cut into bite size pieces and return to soup and heat through.
Serve with fresh relish; recipe below.
- 7Relish (optional):
2 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
Mix all ingredients, stirring thoroughly. Set aside until ready to serve.
- 8Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream and a spoon of relish on top.