Nonna's Original Baked Ravioli Parmegiana
Many people do this as a simple baked ravioli casserole- but this is TRULY AUTHENTIC AND ORIGINAL. There is NO other recipe like this out there.
NOTE: YOU MUST USE MY "Sunday Gravy " recipe sauce for this!
Please be sure to follow my page and let me know after you've made my recipes what everyone thinks! Thanx and God Bless You!
- 3-4 bag(s)
- 1lb.(ea.bag) of good quality cheese raviolis. i often use "italian village" brand. fresh also works! (even better if you buy it from the ravioli house" on arthur ave., bronx, ny!
- 4 c
- joisygirls best authentic "sunday gravy";plus extra for serving
- bits and pcs of saugages,meatballs or pulled pork meat from my "sunday gravy" sauce
- 2 pkg
- 16oz. part skim mozzarella,polly-o,sorrento i usually use (whole mozzarella would be amazing, but im trying to keep my husband alive here!
- 2 c
- best quality pecorino romano (locatelli) grated cheese. any canned "fake"cheese will alter the authentic flavor goal of this recipe! (buy it and have it shipped if you have to!)
- olive oil
THIS SHOULD END UP LOOKING LIKE A LASAGNE CASSEROLE IF DONE CORRECTLY
How to Make Nonna's Original Baked Ravioli Parmegiana
- 1Think about how many raviolis each person would eat...I USUALLY MAKE more B/C 1. WE ALWAYS seem to have moochers looking for a great Italian meal; 2. we have leftovers to bring to work!-DO NOTE: due to the copious amounts of cheese herein- THIS RECIPE IS A FILLER UPPER FOR SURE! KIDS licking the plate is guaranteed! NOTE: for a romantic dinner for 2= you should make(2)-1.lb bags...because you can give the rest to your man to take home and think about how big the rock has to be to get this meal for the rest of his life!
- 2Boil the water. SALT IT TOO! EVERY ITALIAN HATES PASTA THAT IS NOT SEASONED WHILE BOILING.Using any square or rectangle casserole dish, spread some Sunday Gravy (only the sauce/no meat here yet)on the bottom to prevent the casserole from sticking. When the water has a rolling boil to it- add a lite splash of olive oil to it (to prevent the ravioli from sticking). Toss in the ravioli and UNDERcook it. When they start floating to the top, they usually need to go a bit more to cook- BUT we NEED to take them out b/c they'll finish in the oven- and we don't want them to come out "MUSHADA"..(or mushy). They need to be al'dente!!!The cheese inside will also finish cooking in the oven while baking.
- 4Depending the size of the casserole used will govern the amount of mozzarella and grated cheese you use. Keep in mind NOT to make 'too cheesy" due to the cheese in the raviolis.
Lay out each ravioli side by side in a grid formation. Cover with a ladle or 2 of gravy, top with 1-2 handfuls of mozzarella, then(1)heavy spread out sprinkle of grated cheese. Next, lay out (ON TOP) the 2nd layer of ravioli, followed by the sauce,mozz,and grated cheese. (NOTE:I presented Nonna w/a variation to this recipe by adding little broken bits of meatballs and sausages in between the layers and she kissed me & said DELIZIOSO!)Authentic Italian Pork Ragu (recipe coming) goes amazing with this casserole! Finish the layering process, top w/remaining mozzarella and grated cheese.
- 5Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for 30mins or until browned and bubbly.
I have made this many times and frozen it BEFORE the baking process. Just seal it up w/foil and let it thaw out before baking it. You can bake it covered and then uncover it halfway if you think its not thawed out enough. Stick a thermometer inside to check its cooked inside to at least 165degrees.Nobody likes cold in the middle ravioli!