CARTWHEEL PASTA WITH PEPPERS & ONIONS
Recipe & photo: eatingwell.com
- 1-1/2 c
- sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp
- salt, plus 1 tbsp., divided
- 1/8 tsp
- crushed red pepper
- yellow bell peppers
- red bell pepper
- 3/4 c
- coarsely chopped canned whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 12 oz
- wagon wheels or fusilli pasta
How to Make CARTWHEEL PASTA WITH PEPPERS & ONIONS
- 1In a large skillet over medium heat, combine onion, oil, 1/4 tsp. salt and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is a rich golden color, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, peel bell peppers with a vegetable peeler. Cut them in half, remove the cores and thinly slice into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- 3When the onion is golden, increase heat to medium-high and add the peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes and 1/4 tsp. salt and cook until the tomatoes are no longer watery and have separated from the oil, 15 to 20 minutes. Add parsley, stir for 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- 4Meanwhile, bring 2 qts. of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. salt, then add pasta and stir well. Cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.