Easy Low Carb Chicken and Mushroom Stew
This stew is very low carb and tastes good served over rice or with potatoes or pasta.
You could easily double the recipe for a larger crowd or to freeze for future meals.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I love a hearty soup on a cold day and this one has so much great flavor. The chicken thigh meat is so moist and the peas add a pop of sweetness. It's so good, I could probably eat the whole pot by myself! The Test Kitchen
- 2 Tbsp
- coconut oil or oil of your choice
- 1 lb
- skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large
- onion, chunked
- 2 tsp
- chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 c
- celery, chopped
- 1 c
- carrot, chunked
- 2 c
- chicken stock
- 1/2 c
- salsa, chunky or chopped tomatoes
- few dash(es)
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp
- black pepper - a few grinds
- bay leaf
- 1 tsp
- parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp
- herbes de provence
- 3 c
- sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1/2 c
- frozen green peas
How to Make Easy Low Carb Chicken and Mushroom Stew
- 1Cut the chicken thighs into about 1 inch chunks (or whatever size you want).
- 2Put 2 tbsp coconut oil in large pot and add the onions. Sweat the onions for a few minutes - be careful not to brown. Add garlic.
- 3Add chicken thighs and stir into the onion mixture. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the rest of the vegetables except for mushrooms and peas. Season with a couple of teaspoons of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- 4Add chicken stock or 2 c. water plus 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon. Stir in the salsa, herbs and hot sauce, and simmer -partly covered- for 30 minutes.
- 5Add mushrooms and lemon juice and simmer another 10 minutes. Then add the green peas, cover and simmer another 5 minutes.
Taste for seasoning, thicken the sauce with a flour/water slurry if you like (I didn't).
Serve or refrigerate and reheat later. This gives the flavours a chance to mingle. Freeze leftovers - if any.