Grilled C.A.T. Sandwich
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I would never have thought to combine avocado and tuna, but I really liked the combination. The avocado was a creamy and delicious way to replace mayo in the tuna salad. And I love the idea of using coconut oil to grill it with. Can't wait to make this again! The Test Kitchen
1avocado, mashed well
1 can(s)solid white albacore tuna fish ( shredded/flaked)
About 3 tsppure organic coconut oil
4 sliceAncient grains bread
4 slicecheese (use your favorite or something creamy, I used Swiss, make sure it in thin sliced)
A Sprinklesalt and pepper
·any other spices you may like....to kick it up a notch)
·also thick tiny tidbits of celery would be good but optional
How to Make Grilled C.A.T. Sandwich
- Heat a small fry pan (unless making more than one; if making more then one use a large fry pan and double recipe).
- Take some softened (NOT melted), coconut oil and spread very light on the outside of each slice of Ancient grains bread.
- Peel avocado. Slice and pop out pit. Mash avocado well. Flake your tuna fish into bowl with avocado. Mix well. Set aside.
- Place 1 slice of bread in pan, oil side down. Put 1 slice of cheese on top of the slice of bread in a fry pan. Let heat for a moment or two.
- Then put a layer of the avocado tuna mix on the cheese. Add salt and pepper (if desired and any other spices you may like). Place the other slice of cheese on top of the avocado/tuna mix. Place other slice of bread on top of cheese. Carefully flip sandwich over and let heat until browned (toasted). Serve with your favorite bowl of soup and enjoy.
- I used Swiss cheese in my sandwich. Avocados are very healthy. Yes, they are high in fat but it is healthy fat which your body needs. Coconut oil has a zillion heathy benefits and like the avocado it has healthy fat. (trust me, you won't miss the butter as long as you heat it slowly and keep an eye on it you will have no problem...it is good and nutritious...you may use any cheese you like...I'm gonna try some cheddar next time...I think this is a delicious alternative to a grilled tuna melt... Try it and see... if your one of the people out there that like guacamole or just plain out like avocados... then this is something I feel you will love.)
- This is easy, quick, and delicious. ENJOY!
- The avocado/tuna mixture will make 2 sandwiches.