Fireman Bob's Cream Chicken Enchiladas Verdes.....
With this recipe, the sauce is made with roasted tomatillos, roasted serrano chile peppers,and cream cheese. The filling is made with shredded chicken thighs, the dark meat will stand up to the chile and tomatillo sauce better than chicken breasts.
Fireman Bob :)
6 largechicken thighs, bone-in, skins removed
2 lbtomatillos, roasted, then chopped
4 largeserrano chile peppers, roasted, then chopped
6 clovegarlic - roasted
1 1/2 largeyellow onions - ( 1 onion chopped for garnish )
2 bunchcilantro, chopped fine
1 qtchicken stock
1/2 cextra virgin olive oil - divided
12 largecorn tortillas
16 ozcream cheese - softened
4 cextra sharp cheddar cheese - shredded
1 smalljalapeno pepper - ( if more heat is needed )
1 Tbspground cumin
·course sea salt
How to Make Fireman Bob's Cream Chicken Enchiladas Verdes.....
- Place the tomatillos, 4 Serrano chile peppers, and garlic on a baking sheet that has been oiled with the olive oil and place in the oven at 250 degrees and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or till
- Put chicken thighs in a Large skillet and cover with the chicken stock.
Add 3 smashed cloves roasted garlic, 1 whole onion, halved, and 2 teaspoons of salt to the stock.
Bring heat up slowly, and simmer for 40 minutes, ( you are NOT cooking fast ) until the chicken is just cooked through. Remove chicken thighs and set aside and let cool.
- Once roasted, place the tomatillos, and garlic in the blender, as well as 2 cloves of garlic, 1 chopped onion, and about 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro (packed).
- Remaining chopped onion and cilantro will be used for garnish.
- Add one teaspoon of salt to blender and Purée until completely blended.
Taste for heat, If You know Fireman Bob, I will be adding more " heat ".
If not spicy enough, add the jalapeno chile pepper and blend till smooth.
Note that the cream cheese will eventually be added to the sauce which will cool down a lot of the spiciness.
- Pour sauce into a skillet, bring to a simmer and let simmer for 6 minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the cooked chicken meat from the bones.
Shred the chicken thighs. Put the chicken in a bowl and add 1 cup of the tomatillo sauce to the
chicken. Taste the chicken, add more salt if needed.
- Slowly and carefully " warm " the tortillas in a large skillet with the oil, ( Just enough to allow them to be " pliable " so You can " work " with them as You " roll " them up. ) and set on paper towels to " soak " any extra oil up, and set in oven at 200 degrees till all tortillas are
- Dip a tortilla in the verde tomatillo sauce and place it in a 9 by 13 baking pan.
Scoop a spoonful of chicken, and cheese into the center of the tortilla and roll up the tortilla.
Put into the warm oven to keep the enchiladas warm while you finish the sauce.
- Heat the sauce again until simmering, then remove from heat.
Stir in the cream cheese and stir till until well blended.
Pour verde sauce over all enchiladas, top with chopped onion, cheese, and cilantro, and place back in the oven, and " bake " for another 20 minutes at 250 degrees.
- Serve with extra garnishes of onion, cheese, and cilantro.