DIY 5 Spice Powder
To save money, here is the do it yourself version!
Five-spice powder adds a spicy kick to dry rubs or marinades for meat, fish, poultry or pork. Occasionally you will also see five-spice powder added to a sauce. Also, five-spice powder goes very well with tofu
- 3 Tbsp
- cinnamon, ground
- star anise or 2 tsp anise seed
- 1 1/2 tsp
- fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp
- szechuan peppercorns or whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 tsp
- cloves, whole
How to Make DIY 5 Spice Powder
- 1Combine all ingredients into a blender, coffee grinder or spice grinder and blend until finely ground.
- 2Store in an airtight container. This spice should remain fresh for about 6 months.
- 3CHEF NOTE: Roasting the whole spices (before you grind them down) in a dry frying pan until they are aromatic (only a minute or two) will bring out a much more intense and broader taste to the spice mix.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: Be sure NOT to burn the spice while roasting
- 4Information on Szechuan Peppercorn: Sichuan pepper has a unique aroma and flavour that is not hot or pungent like black, white or chili peppers. Instead, it has slight lemony overtones and creates a tingly numbness in the mouth that sets the stage for hot spices. According to Harold McGee in On Food and Cooking, second edition, p429 they are not simply pungent; "they produce a strange, tingling, buzzing, numbing sensation that is something like the effect of carbonated drinks or of a mild electrical current (touching the terminals of a nine-volt battery to the tongue). Recipes often suggest lightly toasting the tiny seedpods, then crushing them before adding them to food. Only the husks are used; the shiny black seeds are discarded or ignored as they have a very gritty sand-like texture. It is generally added at the last moment. Star anise and ginger are often used with it prominently in spicy Sichuan cuisine. It has an alkaline pH and a numbing effect on the lips when eaten in larger doses. It is also a common flavouring in Sichuan baked goods such as sweetened cakes and biscuits.