Chicken with Kale & Spinach Pesto with Toasted Walnuts
2chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
5 ozkale (small bunch)
5 ozspinach, frozen; thawed
1/2 csunflower seeds
1 clovegarlic, sliced
4 Tbspmushroom-infused olive oil
1/2 cfresh parmesan cheese
3 Tbsplemon juice, fresh
1/2 tspkosher salt
1/2 cpasta water
1 cwalnuts, chopped
How to Make Chicken with Kale & Spinach Pesto with Toasted Walnuts
- Prep kale: cut away center stem, and rinse thoroughly.
- Prep spinach: thaw, and squeeze out excess liquid.
- In a large pot, bring slightly salted water to a boil.
- Place kale in water and let blanch for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove kale and either immerse in cold water or run under cold water; drain well.
- Pulse and scrap down sides repeatedly, until completely blended, and to the consistence you desire. ** I needed to add the other tablespoon of oil and some pasta water, to get the "saucier" consistency that I wanted.
Set completed pesto aside.
- In medium-large pot, bring slightly salted water to boil.
- Place chicken in water and boil 15-20 minutes, making certain it's completely cooked. Let cool.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken; set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan and add the chopped walnuts; toast for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove a cup of the pasta water and set it aside for possible use in the pesto.
Drain pasta and place in a bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of butter; toss to coat.
- Place pasta on plate, add shredded chicken and pesto, and top with toasted walnuts. Enjoy!