Almond, Coconut, & Parmesan Coating
1/2 cfinely ground almonds or almond flour or meal
1/2 cunsweetened dry flaked coconut, or macaroon coconut
1/2 cfreshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tspseason salt, or lemon pepper, or whatever seasoning suits your taste
1/2 tspfresh ground pepper
2 largeegg whites, beaten until frothy
·coconut or tapioca flour, or cornstarch for dusting whatever you are coating
How to Make Almond, Coconut, & Parmesan Coating
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place a rack over baking sheet and spray with non stick spray. Set aside. A convection oven works great for this recipe. A conventional oven work too, and the high oven temp help the coating get and stay crispy.
- Prepare the meat or vegetables you are making. We love this coating on fish, chicken tenders, zucchini, green tomatoes, etc. Make sure you pat them dry with paper towels.
- Prepare coating: If you don't have almond flour or meal, pulse almonds in food processor until coarsely ground. Mix with coconut, Parmesan, and seasoning.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Dust fish, chicken or veggies with flour of choice. Shake off excess. Dip into egg white, and then in coating. Place on rack and bake until done and browned... time will vary, depending on what you are baking, but usually about 20 minutes. When serving, you can offer some sauces for dipping... IE: honey mustard, ranch, etc, or just keep them simple and more healthy. Enjoy!
- **NOTE** This recipe also works for pan frying. I love to make cod this way. I use a little coconut oil heated in lg skillet, Add dill weed, lemon pepper, and lemon zest to coating. Dredge fish pieces in flour or cornstarch, shake off excess, then in egg white, then in the coating. Pan fry till crispy and done. I serve with a lemon wedge. Yum!