Recipe & photo: britishfood.about.com
- 1 Tbsp
- lard or beef drippings
- 1 large
- onion, peeled and roughly diced
- 4 Tbsp
- dark beer or stout (optional)
- 4 oz
- diced cold roast beef or lamb
- 1 1/2 lb
- potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 10 oz
- beef or lamb stock or left over gravy
- salt and pepper to taste
- any other leftover vegetable such as carrots, parsnips, turnips, etc. (optional)
How to Make SCOTTISH STOVIES
- 1In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the lard or drippings. Add onions and cook until soft but not browned (about 5-8 minutes). If using, add the beer or stout,, turn the heat up and allow to boil for 2 minutes to burn the alcohol off. Add the meat and stir well.
- 2Add the potatoes in layers, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper as you go.
- 3Pour the stock or gravy over all. Transfer to a large casserole dish and cover. Place in a preheated 375-degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Check often to make sure there is plenty of stock. If needed, add more to keep from drying out.
- 4If using additional leftover vegetables, add them 10 minutes before cooking time is finished, and keep dish covered.