Mom's Brisket Carbonnade
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 to 4 pound fresh beef brisket
- 3 medium
- yellow onions, sliced
- 12 can(s)
- (1 1/2 cups) beer
- 1 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 2 tsp
- instant beef bouillon granules (or 2 cubes)
- peppercorns, whole black or 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 6 clove
- garlic, minced
- bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp
- dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
How to Make Mom's Brisket Carbonnade
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Trim excess fat from brisket. Season meat with a little salt and pepper. Place in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; cover with onion slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Reserve 1/3 cup beer. Combine remaining beer and next 6 ingredients; pour over meat. Cover with foil.
- 3Bake in a 350 degree oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or till tender. Remove meat to a platter; keep warm. Skim off excess fat from pan juices; remove bay leaf.
- 4In a saucepan cook juices down to 2 cups. Combine reserved beer and flour; stir into pan juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Slice meat across the grain; pass gravy. Serves 6 to 8.