Memaw's Mexican Cornbread
2 ccorn meal mix
1 cself rising flour
2 1/2 cbuttermilk
2 lbground beef or turkey
1 can(s)whole corn - drained
2 can(s)green chillis (optional)
1 largeonion - diced & sauted
approx 3 cshredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Memaw's Mexican Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown meat and onion together. Drain well and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour and cornmeal mix. Add sugar, eggs and buttermilk to flour mixture. Mix well.
- Combine green chillis, whole corn (drained) to flour mixture.
- Pour half flour mixture in bottom of baking dish. Spread hamburger meat and onion over batter, cover with remaining batter. Top with cheese.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden brown on top and edges. Use toothpick to insert in center, when you pull it out the tooth pick should come out clean. This assures that it is cooked all the way through.