Grandma's Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup
3 lbbeef shank - bone in
4 cleeks chopped
4 ccelery, chopped
5 smallturnips/rutabegas - grated
3 largeparsnips - grated
5 largecarrots - grated
3/4 cparsley - finely chopped
2 Tbspsalt or to taste
1/2 tspground black pepper or to taste
How to Make Grandma's Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup
- Combine beef shank and water in a large soup pot and boil for 1 hour, skim foam as appropriate.
- Remove beef bones and meat. Discard bones and chop meat into small pieces and return to pot.
- Rinse barley and soak in warm water for 1 hour
- Add barley, salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour
- Enjoy over rice, pasta, or with a crusty loaf of French bread!