Fireman Bob's Noodles and Short Ribs Soup my way..
2 lbbeef short ribs
2 largered onions - peeled and chopped
4 largecelery stalks with leaves - chopped
3 largecarrots - peeled and chopped
1 bunchgreen onions - chopped
8 clovegarlic - peeled and chopped
4 largebay leaves * note rememeber to remove before eating.
2 ctomatoes - diced
2 qtbeef stock - homemade
1/2 capple cider vinegar
2 Tbspfresh parley - chopped
2 cconcord grape juice - simmer till reduced by half
6 cegg noodles - homemade - recipe below
1 tspcourse sea salt or too taste
2 tspfresh cracked black pepper - or to taste
4 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
FOR THE EGG NOODLES
2 1/2 cflour
1 pinchfresh cracked black pepper
2 largeeggs - beaten
1/2 cmilk - cold
2 Tbspbutter - room temp
2 tspfennel seeds - roasted then crushed
How to Make Fireman Bob's Noodles and Short Ribs Soup my way..
- Note: This recipe brings beef and noodles together in a soup and begins by cooking beef short ribs until the meat falls off the bone, then adding homemade egg noodles to the pot to make soup.
Have your Butcher cut the short ribs down to about 2 inches long if needed.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
Chop the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, and set aside.
Generously season the beef short ribs with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven, brown the beef on all sides over high heat in a small amount of oil. Remove beef from pot and set aside.
- Now add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic and simmer in the beef drippings till almost browned.
Add the grape juice and use a wooden spoon to loosen all the " tid bits " from the bottom of the pan.
Add the tomatoes, bay leaves and the browned beef.
- Add the stock, and cider making sure the liquid covers the meat, add more beef stock until the ribs are covered by an inch.
Bring to a boil, then cover and transfer to the oven.
Allow the beef to cook untouched for 5 hours.
- Remove pot from oven and carefully remove the beef ribs from the liquid.
Remove the meat from the bones and gently pull the meat into bite-sized pieces. Also, " DIG " out the bone marrow from inside the bones and add with the meat. Set aside.
- Preparing the Noodles
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, pepper, and fennel. Add the beaten eggs, milk, and butter. Knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. Let rest in a covered bowl for 10 minutes.
On a floured surface, roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired length.
Allow to air dry 20 minutes before cooking.
- Add the noodles to the liquid and simmer over a medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Turn off heat.
- Add the beef and stir until the meat is heated through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Top off each bowl with the green onions.
Serve hot with a good crusty bread.
- ENJOY !!!