4 Tbspvegetable oil
5 to 6 lbbeef brisket (preferably the second cut), trimmed
6 clovegarlic, sliced
1/4 csweet paprika
2 Tbspground cumin
1 can(s)(14 oz.) tomato puree
1/4 cpacked light brown sugar
2 cbrewed coffee
1 cchicken broth
·salt and pepper
How to Make COFFEE-BRAISED BRISKET
- Place a large roasting pan over two burners and add 2 Tbsp. oil; heat over medium heat. Add the brisket and cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes on each side. Transfer the brisket to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to the pan. Stir in the onions and garlic and season with a little salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, about 15 minutes, or until onions are a golden brown and soft. Stir in the paprika and cumin and cook for one minute more.
- Add tomato puree and brown sugar; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in coffee and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return the brisket to the pan. Cover tightly with foil and transfer to a preheated 325-degree oven. Roast until the brisket pulls apart easily, about 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and let rest for 30 minutes. Skim fat from the braising liquid; season with salt and pepper. Slice the brisket against the grain 1/4 inch thick and return slices to the roasting pan. Place pan over two burners and warm the brisket over medium heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes; serve the braising liquid as gravy/broth.