Hearty Ham and Cheese Sandwich(Croque Monsieur)
I think the secret to this sandwich is the Gruyère cheese and nutmeg in the sauce..so good.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- lite margarine
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- hot 2% milk
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- pepper (pinch)
- 1 pinch
- 2 c
- grated gruyère (just ask at the cheese counter- they grate it free)
- 1/4 c
- grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slice
- whole wheat bread (i leave the crust on)
- honey dijon mustard
- 4 oz
- apple wood baked ham, sliced thin
How to Make Hearty Ham and Cheese Sandwich(Croque Monsieur)
- 1Heat oven to 400^. Heat milk in microwave safe measuring cup.
In a small saucepan melt the margarine, then add the flour all at once, stirring with spatula until the mixture is smooth..slowly pour the hot milk into the flour mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick. Remove from the heat and add the salt and pepper and the nutmeg. Stir in 1 cup of the grated Gruyère and the all the Parmesan cheese until blended together; and set aside.
- 3Lightly brush the the bread slices with the mustard and divide the ham equally among 3 slices of the toast, sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining Gruyère over the ham. Top each with the remaining toast. Generously spoon the tops of the toast with the cheese sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining shredded Gruyère, and bake in the hot oven for 5 minutes.