Down South Fried Catfish
1 Tbspcoarse salt
1 Tbsplemon pepper
1 1/2 Tbspcreole or cajun seasoning
1/2 tspblack pepper
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1 1/2 cyellow cornmeal
4-6 dash(es)hot sauce
·peanut or canola oil ( for frying)
How to Make Down South Fried Catfish
- Place catfish in a single layer in a shallow dish. Sprinkle with coarse salt and hot sauce.
- Pour the buttermilk over the fish. Set aside to marinate about 2 hours.
- Place 2 inches of oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- place flour, cornmeal and Creole seasoning, black pepper, and lemon pepper in a brown bag.
- Add just enough fish to fry in the first batch (I usually coat 2 pieces at a time) Shake bag to coat fish evenly.
- Add fish to hot oil.Cook until fish begins to brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Turn; cook until fish browns and most of the bubbling has stopped, about 4 more minutes.
- Transfer to clean brown paper or paper towel to drain. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Serve with dipping sauce and lemons.