Tomato Heaven on Rice
My head is swimming with variations. I couldn't figure out what to call it but when I eat it, my mouth is flooded with fabulous flavor and that's a heavenly thing to me.
You can also just saute the zucchini in butter and serve it on the side. We did that the first time.
This is my first recipe shared here at JustaPinch. I hope it isn't too difficult.
- 1 lb
- chicken or tenderized cube steak
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- onion, chopped
- 3-4 c
- fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 c
- zucchini, diced
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic
- 1 tsp
- italian seasoning
- 2-3 c
How to Make Tomato Heaven on Rice
- 1Blanch the tomatoes in near boiling water for about 30 seconds each. Then peel and squeeze out some of the seeds before giving them a rough chop. (They will cook down) It takes a little extra time to blanch the tomatoes but it makes such a difference to not have those skins in the dish!
- 2Heat just enough olive oil in pan to keep onions and steak or chicken from sticking. Begin with just the meat, allowing it a chance to get a little seared before adding the onions. Sauté together just until the onions are clear.
- 3Add tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt to taste. Allow to cook for 20-30 minutes until tomatoes break down and zucchini is cooked to your preference. I like to leave it a little firmer so it gives you something to chew on.
- 4Serve over steamed rice.
- 5Suggestions: If you want to make it without meat, add that zucchini a little later to be sure it stays firm enough to give you something to chew. Without meat, the dish won’t take but about 20 minutes to cook down and allow the flavors to marry.
We used fresh tomatoes and onions from our garden but if you don’t have fresh tomatoes, just buy the canned ones.