Stuffed Cornish Hens Supreme
4 1-1/1/2 lbcornish game hens (that's 4 cornish hens weighing 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.)
1 1/4 cchopped green onions
1 cchopped mushrooms
2 Tbspbutter or margarine
2 csoft bread slices, cut into small cubes
1 largeegg, hard cooked and chopped
1/4 cdairy sour cream
1/4 tspgarlic salt
1/8 tspground black pepper or white pepper
1 pkgchicken gravy mix (i use french's)
How to Make Stuffed Cornish Hens Supreme
- Rinse Hens and pat dry. Preheat oven to 350 degree's.
- Cook 1 cup of the onions and 1/2 cup of the mushrooms in butter until tender and liquid evaporates.
- Combine with cubed bread, chopped egg, sour cream, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Lightly stuff hens with mixture; truss. Place hens, breast side up in a large shallow pan. Cover with foil and roast in preheated over for 60 minutes.
- Uncover and baste with drippings. Spoon off and save 2 T. of drippings. Return hens to oven and roast 30 to 40 minutes more uncovered, until tender and browned. Allow to rest.
- Meanwhile cook the remaining 1/4 c. onions and 1/2 c. of mushrooms in reserved drippings in a small saucepan. Stir in milk, water, gravy mix and nutmeg (not optional).
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute until thick and creamy.
- Serve hens hot with sauce (I serve the sauce on the side for dipping purposes.) on a bed of wild rice.