Rose Mary's Beer Can Chicken & Pan Gravy
Rose Mary Mogan
4-5 lbroaster or fryer
2-3cloves of garlic,minced
1/2 tspdried rosemary
1/2 tspdried thyme
1 Tbspgranulted garlic powder
2 tspkosher salt
1 tspeach, black pepper, onion powder,& dry mustard
12 ozcan of beer, your choice
ROSE MARY'S BEER CAN CHICKEN & PAN GRAVY
How to Make Rose Mary's Beer Can Chicken & Pan Gravy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash bird and discard all visible fat, & pat dry.
- Mix garlic powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, dry mustard, and onion powder in a small bowl, mix together and rub liberally on the inside and outside of chicken. Spray chicken with none stick cooking spray, I use Butter flavored variety.
- Pour out about 1/3 cup of beer,from can. Make a couple of extra holes in top of can to allow steam to escape, add 2-3 cloves of garlic,minced to can, and 1/2 teaspoon each of dried rosemary and thyme, or any of your favorite herbs.
- Place can in an oven proof dish, and position chicken over top of can, and adjust the legs to allow chicken to sit on can without falling over. All of the drippings from chicken will fall into pan as the chicken cooks. The drippings is what you will use to make your pan gravy. Position on lowest rack in oven so chicken can stand without touching top of oven.
- Allow chicken to cook at 400 degrees F for half an hour.
- Then reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. and continue to cook for an additional one and a half hours, or until juices run clear when tested.
- Remove from oven when done. Allow chicken to stand for 15 to 20 minutes before removing chicken from can to carve. Be careful, chicken and can are still hot.
- When done pour remaining pan drippings and beer into small sauce pan, heat over medium heat till it comes to a boil, mix about 1 1/2 tablespoons flour in a small cup, stir to blend with about 1/2 cup of water, and pour into sauce pan, whisking as you go until mixture begins to thicken. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta if desired. Serve with chicken
- Note this chicken cooks from the inside out, and is very moist.