Portabello Mushrooms with Leeks and Sausage
2 largeportabello mushroom caps
4 to 6 ozfully-cooked, italian-flavored, low-fat chicken sausage (about two 6-inch links)
1/2red bell pepper
1 to 2 clovegarlic or twice as much roasted garlic
3 ozlaughing cow low fat cheese (3 wedges), plain or with garlic and herbs
1/4 cgrated parmesan or romano cheese
How to Make Portabello Mushrooms with Leeks and Sausage
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wash and remove the stems from the mushrooms. Optionally, dice the stems and add to the stuffing. Scrape most of the black gills from the caps with a spoon, trying not to break them. Discard the gills.
- Remove the skin from the sausage and cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch dice.
- Peel and mince the garlic or roughly chop the roasted garlic.
- Remove the seeds and membranes from the bell pepper. Slice off 4 strips for decorating the mushrooms. Chop the remaining pepper into 1/4 inch dice.
- Microwave the cheese wedges and milk for 1 minute in a microwave safe cup. Stir to make a sauce. Don't worry about lumps.
- Mix the sausage, leeks, diced bell pepper, garlic, and sauce in a large bowl. Mound 1/2 of this mixture on each mushroom cap.
- Assembly: Place the mushroom caps, gill side up, in an oven save dish.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese over each mushroom. Lay red pepper strips across the top to decorate.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450F and cook an addition 10 to 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with with dressed, green salad.