Fireman Bob's " Salt Crusted " Chicken my way...
13 to 3 1/2 pound roasting chicken
1 bunchmixed herbs - such as... rosemary, thyme,marjoram, and parsley
7 csea salt yes 7 cups...
1/2 tspred pepper flakes
2whole heads of garlic - roasted
How to Make Fireman Bob's " Salt Crusted " Chicken my way...
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Rinse off chicken, pat dry
Place the herbs inside the cavity, then " truss " the chicken
- Mix together the sea salt ( all 7 cups ) and red pepper flakes with the egg white until all the salt is moistened
Pick a roasting pan or glass dish big enough to hold the chicken, line the pan with a double lining of foil big enough to enclose the chicken for cooking
- Spread a thick layer of sea salt on the bottom of the pan, and place chicken on the sea salt layer
Cover the chicken with remaining sea salt and " shape " neatly around the entire chicken making sure the whole chicken is enclosed in the sea salt
- Bring the foil edges up and enclose the chicken and place in oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours
Remove from oven and let " rest " for 10 minutes
- Carefully lift the foil package from the pan and open ( being careful of the steam from package )
Break away the " Sea Salt Crust "
Brush away any remaining sea salt from the chicken
Place on serving platter with the roasted heads of garlic
- As you eat, slip the " skins " off the garlic cloves and take a " bite " of chicken with the garlic