Elaine's Chicken Pot Pie Guide
Pastry - I usually make a big batch of pastry using the Maple Leaf lard recipe. I divide it into 6 portions for 3 double crust pies or 6 single crust pies. I freeze these portions wrapped individually. They defrost quickly on the counter or in the fridge if I have the time. This is a real time saver.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 - inch red skinned potatoes, small cubes, skin on
- 2 medium
- carrots, cubed
- 1/2 c
- small frozen peas
- 2 c
- cooked chicken 1/2 inch dice
- 1 c
- chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped onion
- pastry for double crust pie
How to Make Elaine's Chicken Pot Pie Guide
- 1Heat a small amount of water in a saucepan and add the unpeeled, diced potato and carrots. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes and drain.
- 2Put the diced chicken in a bowl along with the potato, carrots and peas.
- 3Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the finely chopped onion. Sweat the onion for a couple of minutes, then add the flour and mix well.
- 4Slowly add the chicken stock to the onion mixture and allow to boil and thicken for a few minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- 5Add the onion and stock mixture to the chicken and vegetables in the bowl and mix well. The mixture should be thick.
Taste for seasoning, correct the seasoning and allow to cool.
- 6Roll out pastry to fit a 9 inch pie pan. Fit pastry in the pie pan and fill with the chicken and vegetable mixture.
Cover with rolled out pastry top and seal.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until pastry is browned and cooked through.
- 9You could make small pies in tart shells and reduce the baking time.