Elaine's Chicken Pot Pie Guide
Pastry - I usually make a big batch of pastry using the Maple Leaf lard recipe. I divide it into 6 portions for 3 double crust pies or 6 single crust pies. I freeze these portions wrapped individually. They defrost quickly on the counter or in the fridge if I have the time. This is a real time saver.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
22 - inch red skinned potatoes, small cubes, skin on
2 mediumcarrots, cubed
1/2 csmall frozen peas
2 ccooked chicken 1/2 inch dice
1 cchicken stock
·salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cfinely chopped onion
·pastry for double crust pie
How to Make Elaine's Chicken Pot Pie Guide
- Heat a small amount of water in a saucepan and add the unpeeled, diced potato and carrots. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes and drain.
- Put the diced chicken in a bowl along with the potato, carrots and peas.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the finely chopped onion. Sweat the onion for a couple of minutes, then add the flour and mix well.
- Slowly add the chicken stock to the onion mixture and allow to boil and thicken for a few minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Add the onion and stock mixture to the chicken and vegetables in the bowl and mix well. The mixture should be thick.
Taste for seasoning, correct the seasoning and allow to cool.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9 inch pie pan. Fit pastry in the pie pan and fill with the chicken and vegetable mixture.
Cover with rolled out pastry top and seal.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until pastry is browned and cooked through.
- You could make small pies in tart shells and reduce the baking time.