Easy Quesadillas with Fresh Guacamole
They cook up quickly and are excellent served with the guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.
It gets even easier if you can find pre-made pico de gallo in your produce section.
Also, leftover steak, pork, or ground beef can be used instead of chicken for variety.
1- Make this vegetarian by leaving out the meat and doubling the beans.
2- I used whole grain tortillas in this. They were excellent.
1/2the meat from a rotisserie chicken
1/2 tspgarlic salt
1 or 2 largepoblanos or red bell peppers, cut in strips
2 tspolive oil
1 cpico de gallo
3/4 cblack beans (rinsed and drained) - optional
2 cshredded mexican cheese blend
4 large(10-inch) flour tortillas
2 smallripe avocados
1/2 tspsea salt (or to taste)
·juice of 1/2 a lime
1/4 cprepared pico de gallo
How to Make Easy Quesadillas with Fresh Guacamole
- Chop meat from chicken in small pieces, and season with garlic salt. Place in a microwave container and heat up just before using, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- In a 10-inch iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Cut peppers into strips, and cook in the oil until they are a bit blackened, turning and stirring as necessary. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Reduce heat in skillet to medium and wipe excess oil out with a paper towel. On a prep surface, lay out one tortilla. Place 1/4 of the peppers on half the tortilla. Add 1/4 of the chicken (heat it up first), 1/4 of the pico de gallo, 1/4 of the black beans (if using), and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Fold tortilla in half.
Repeat with remaining 3 tortillas.
- Place folded tortilla in skillet and cook 3-4 minutes until very browned, then carefully turn over and cook the other side. The timing will depend on how hot your skillet is. You want the cheese to melt, but you don't want to burn the tortillas.
- Remove tortilla to serving plate and cut into fourths. Serve with fresh Guacamole.
Tip: if your tortillas are 10 inches and so is your skillet, you can actually cook two quesadillas at once in the skillet.
- To make Guacamole:
Peel and mash the avocados, adding salt and lime juice. Stir in 1/4 cup pico de gallo until blended.