Costa Frico Chorizo Burgers w/ Cantaloupe Salsa
- 1 clove
- garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 12 Tbsp
- freshly shredded parmesan cheese (about ¾ cup)
- 1 c
- diced cantaloupe
- 1/2 c
- diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 c
- diced jicama
- 1/4 c
- chopped green onion
- 1/4 c
- mixed fresh herbs (i.e. cilantro, basil, italian parsley) rough chopped
- 1/8-1/4 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp
- plus 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/4 tsp
- coarse salt
- 1 1/4 lb
- ground chicken
- 3/4 lb
- spicy chorizo sausage, raw, casing removed
- avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted
- bakery-fresh hamburger rolls (i.e. sourdough, seeded, or dutch crunch)
- 6 slice
- jalapeno or pepper jack cheese
- 6 medium
- buttercrunch or romaine lettuce leaves
How to Make Costa Frico Chorizo Burgers w/ Cantaloupe Salsa
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine crushed garlic and olive oil in small bowl; reserve.
- 2Line a sided baking sheet with parchment paper. For Frico chips, place 12 level tablespoons of cheese onto lined sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart. Pat down to form flat, circles about 2 ½ “ diameter . Place baking sheet in center of oven and bake 6 to 9 minutes ; remove crisps when they become lacy and light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes and transfer to paper towels.
- 3Preheat gas grill to medium high.
In medium bowl, combine cantaloupe, bell pepper, jicama, onion, herbs, pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons lime juice and salt; taste and adjust seasoning. (If prepared ahead, refrigerate until ready to use).
- 4Make 9 lengthwise cuts into each avocado half and sprinkle tops with 2 teaspoons lime juice. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside.
- 5Combine chicken and chorizo in large bowl, using hands, mix gently and shape into 6 patties to fit rolls.
Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until the juices run clear, 6 to 8 minutes per side. During the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time, top patties with a slice of pepper jack cheese; cover until melted.
- 6Brush cut sides of rolls with reserved garlic –oil and toast lightly on outer edges of grill.
- 7When ready to assemble, top each bottom roll with a lettuce leaf, cheese-topped patty, some cantaloupe salsa, 3 slices avocado, and 2 frico chips and close with roll tops. Garnish with herb sprigs, lime wedges and extra frico chips, you may have made, if desired.