Cliantro Lime Grilled Chicken Breast with Southwest Yellow Rice Salad
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a lovely, light & flavorful dinner! The chicken has the yummy cilantro and lime flavors from the marinade. They're subtle, definitely not overpowering. The corn salad does have some heat, but it pairs very well with the chicken. If you're able to get your hands on fresh corn, it's definitely worth using. The Test Kitchen
- 4 large
- bonless skinless chicken breast
- 4 medium
- limes (zest and juice for marinde) juice 1 lime for dressing, juice 1 lime for finishing dish
- 1 c
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp
- Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle spices
- 1 pkg
- large yellow rice mix (I use Vrgo but any yellow rice mix will do)
- 1 can(s)
- black beans washed and drained
- 2 medium
- ears fresh corn (grilled on grill) you may use canned mexican corn if you do not have fresh
- 1 clove
- garlic minced
- 2 medium
- fresh tomatoes coarsely chopped (if you do not have fresh tomatoes use 1 drained can of Rotel)
- 1 c
- red onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp
- adobe sauce from chilpote peppers
- 3 medium
- fresh avocados sliced
- 1 pinch
- sea salt
- 1/4 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil with paper towel for grill
How to Make Cliantro Lime Grilled Chicken Breast with Southwest Yellow Rice Salad
- 1Begin marinade for chicken by adding chopped cilantro to zest and juice of 2 limes mix well. In a casserole dish place 4 chicken breasts and sprinkle 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle spices evenly on all 4, followed by cilantro lime marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 2Yellow rice salad begins with preparing yellow rice as directed on package. When rice is done remove to a large bowl fluff. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to mix salad.
- 3Start fire in grill (I use charcoal but you could use gas just make sure you have nice high heat to start) you could also do this inside on a grill pan if you have no outside grill!
I like to get my fire really hot all coals burning then take a paper towel with olive oil and rub grill to make sure chicken does not stick. When coals are ready medium to high heat place corn on fire grill about 6-8 minutes then remove from grill to cool. Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill. Grill 4 minutes on each side then turn and grill again to get grill marks criss crossed. Total 8 minutes on each side. Watch fire if it flames spray with water to get rid of flames. When grilling is done remove to side of grill with low heat. Then leave there to finish cooking about 10-15 minutes.
- 4While chicken is on low heat begin salad. Cut corn from cob and place in large bowl of yellow rice. Add black beans, garlic, fresh tomatoes, and red onion toss well set aside while making dressing.
- 5In food processor add adobe sauce, 1 sliced avocado, juice of 1 lime, sea salt, pulse 3-4 times until smooth and creamy then slowly add extra virgin olive oil while processor is running until incorporated. Remove from processor bowl and add to salad. Toss well and return to refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.