I found this reciped in a 1986 cookbook named "365 ways to cook Chicken." (They had a series of cookbooks and I have several of them, great books but no pictures.)
1fryer chicken (3 lb, cut up)
·salt and freshly ground peper
2 Tbspoil (your choice, i used olive)
2 mediumonions, finely chopped
1 Tbspgarlic, minced (not in original recipe, optional)
1 can(s)15 oz diced tomatoes or
2 largefresh ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 1/2 Tbspimported sweet paprika
1/2 csour cream
How to Make Chicken Paprika
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken lightly on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, and continue cooking a few more minutes, stirring often, until onions begin to brown. Do not burn garlic, it gets bitter.
- Add tomatoes and paprika. Return chicken to pan. Cover tightly and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, until tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter. *(At this point, I skinned and deboned the chicken, then arranged the meat on a platter.) Stir sour cream into tomato mixture. Heat until warm, do not boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Serve with noodles or, for a real treat, homemade spaetzle.