Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole With Tomatillo Salsa
Cindy Smith Bryson
2 crotisserie chicken, deboned, shredded or cut into large bite size pieces. you may also use 2 chicken breasts cooked in chicken broth. cut when cooled.
3 1/2 cjarred tomatillo salsa (salsa verde). you may also make from fresh. see recipes on jap.
1/2 cheavy cream
2 Tbspsour cream, mixed well into heavy cream
1onion, sliced paper thin
1/2 cvegetable oil
12day old corn tortillas
1 cmanchego cheese, grated
1 cpanela cheese, grated
1/2 canejo cheese, grated.
NOTE: IF YOU CANNOT FIND THESE CHEESES YOU MAY USE A FIESTA BLEND BAGGED CHEESE.
How to Make Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole With Tomatillo Salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter 4 qt. casserole. In large mixing bowl, combine tomatillo salsa, heavy cream/sour cream, dash salt/pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in large skillet over low-medium heat. Cook tortillas just 5 seconds per side to soften. Transfer to platter w/ paper towels or into colander to drain.
- TO ASSEMBLE CHILAQUILES: Spread layer of cheeses mixture over bottom of casserole dish. Dip each tortilla, one at a time, in tomatillo sauce to moisten. Set moistened tortillas aside.
- Integrate onions and chicken into sauce, mix well to combine. Layer 1/3 of moistened tortillas over cheese in casserole dish. Top tortillas with 1/2 of tomatillo sauce.
- Sprinkle remaining cheeses over sauce. Now repeat the second layer with tortillas and remaining sauce, ending with layer of moistened tortillas on top. If desired (I always do!) sprinkle another half cup of cheeses over tortillas.
- Cover casserole tightly with aluminum foil. Bake @ 350 for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5-10 minutes more or until edges are slightly brown. Let sit 10-15 minutes prior to serving.