BASQUE CHICKEN (sallye)
- whole chicken, 3 to 3 1-2 lbs
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tsp
- soy sauce, low sodium
- 5 medium
- 3 medium
- yellow onions
- 1` medium
- red or green bell pepper (optional)
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 4 oz
- smoked sliced ham
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
How to Make BASQUE CHICKEN (sallye)
- 1Cut chicken in half along back bone. Remove neck bone by cutting with a sharp knife or kitchen shears along the back of the chicken. (Or you can skip this step by buying chicken already cut into halves)
Lay chicken halves out flat in casserole baking dish
- 2Combine oil and soy sauce and brush onto chicken pieces
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
- 3While chicken is baking, cut tomatoes into wedges.
Peel and slice onions.
Remove core and membrane from peppers and cut into thin strips.
Cut ham into thin strips.
- 4Remove chicken from oven and remove from casserole dish
Place tomatoes, onions, peppers, ham, thyme and parsley in bottom of dish
Place chicken back in dish on top of veggies and sprinkle with salt & pepper
- 5Return to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is done (Juices will run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork)
- 6Remove from oven, brush chicken with pan juices
Cut into serving pieces and serve immediately
- 7Good served with steamed rice or noodles, spinach salad and broccoli
- 8ALTERNATE CROCKPOT COOKING:
P.S. I used the crockpot since I knew I was going to be in and out today.
I browned the chicken in my cast iron skillet, then followed the recipe instructions, using the crockpot instead of a casserole dish. I also added the squash. I cooked on low for about 5-1/2 hours. It was just as good, if not better, than if baked in the oven.
Served over homemade noodles with a green salad and garlic bread made from my homemade Italian loaf.