White Castle Sliders: One Man’s Journey for Truth
Andy Anderson !
This is my labor of love… A journey to create a White Castle slider.
So, you ready… let’s get into the kitchen.
6 ozground chuck (20/80)
4 Tbspdried onions, not fresh (that’s one of the secrets)
1/2 cbeef stock (not broth), hot
1 tsponion powder
4 mediumround pickle slices, optional
4 smallslider buns
4 tspgerman brown mustard
How to Make White Castle Sliders: One Man’s Journey for Truth
- MYTH BUSTING: There have been a lot of rumors on what exactly a White Castle hamburger is composed of… just go out on the Internet and see for yourself.
Some of the wilder ones are that White Castle hamburgers contain:
• 30% liver… (Yummy)
• 20% beef baby food (I’m not kidding)
• 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter per pound of beef
Can you imagine the lawsuits that White Castle would have if they put a nut product in their burgers, and didn’t mention that to anyone? Think of all the people who have allergies to nuts.
For the record, White Castle hamburgers are 100 beef… FULL STOP.
How do I know… Well, because I had one analyzed at a food lab. 100% pure ground beef with a 20% fat content… okay I’m a geek, forgive me.
- THE MUSTARD: At the White Castle that I occasioned, they had this wonderful brown mustard. To me, it wasn’t a White Castle hamburger without that mustard. I assumed that all White Castle’s used that mustard; however, they do not. It’s more of a Midwest thing… go figure.
Anyway, for me that “special” mustard was part of the experience. I NEEDED that dang mustard to complete the experience.
You can purchase “White Castle” mustard, but it’s hard to find. I wanted to see if there was a commercial mustard that might do the trick, and 15 bottles of brown mustard later, the winner is: Lowensenf Extra. It’s German brown creamy mustard with just a wonderful hint of vinegar.
- Movie Trivia: In the movie Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (yes, they did actually make a movie about White Castle), the actor that played Kumar was a strict vegetarian, so at the end of the movie when they’re scarfing down all those sliders, Kumar’s are veggie burgers… kind of ruins the point of the whole movie.