Unconventional Beef Stroganoff
Andy Anderson !
This recipe is a classic, with a twist or two, so I called it: Netraditsionnyy Govjadina po Strogonovski, or Unconventional Beef Stroganoff… Let’s get cooking.
2 Tbspsweet butter, unsalted
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 lbwhite button mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 mediumtomato, diced
·kosher salt, to taste
·fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cdry white vermouth (more on this later)
2 lbtri-tip roast, cut against the grain into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 mediumonion, cut in half (pole to pole), and sliced very thinly
4 chot beef broth, freshly made if you have it.
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1 tsphungarian sweet paprika
1/2 tspground cumin
3 Tbspcrème fraîche or, if not available, heavy whipping cream
1/4 csour cream, room temperature
8 ozfull fat cream cheese, room temperature
1 Tbspdijon mustard
2 clong grain white rice, cooked
How to Make Unconventional Beef Stroganoff
- Chef's Note: The first mention of "Govjadina po Strogonovski" was from a cookbook published in Russia in 1861: Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' A Gift to Young Housewives.
Over 150 years later, I wonder if she knew what she started, and just how many variations of her recipe would be devoured around the globe.
- Let's begin by prepping our ingredients:
Chop, slice and cut up the veggies, and reserve. A mandolin is an excellent tool for cutting the mushrooms, and thinly slicing the onions.
Slice the tri-tip, and keep cool.
Have your other ingredients close at hand.
The one exception is the cream cheese and the sour cream. You won't need these until the last thirty minutes.
- Chef's Tip: Sometimes it's hard to thinly slice a large roast; however, if you put it into the freezer for about 20 minutes, it firms up just enough to make slicing easier. Oh, and don't forget to have a nice sharp knife.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil to a large pot over medium heat, and allow the butter to melt and incorporate into the olive oil.
Chef's Note: The additional tablespoon of butter and olive oil, are only to be used if you feel the veggies are drying out. If they look moist and fine, while cooking, then leave it out. The reason I added them to the recipe, is that in most cases, I do need the additional fat.
- Place rack in lower position, and preheat oven to 255f (124c).
- Add sliced mushrooms and onions to pot; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and pepper, to taste, and sauté until the veggies begin to release their juices, this should take about 6 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high; and continue to sauté until veggies are tender and begin to brown, about 4 minutes longer.
- Add vermouth to the mushrooms and boil until almost evaporated but still moist, scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute.
Chef's Note: Some chefs do not cook with, or consume alcohol. If that's the case, then substitute the booze with the same amount of beef broth. The dynamics of the dish will change, but it will still taste excellent.
Season to taste with coarse kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the dry spices: paprika, cumin, and stir to incorporate, and then let the spices cook with the veggies for an additional minute or two.
Chef's Note: Be very careful at this stage so that nothing in the pot goes from being brown, to being black.
- Add the four cups of reserved broth (should be good and warm) to the mixture, reduce heat to medium, and allow to simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sliced beef, and continue to simmer, until the beef begins to cook in the sauce, about 8 minutes.
- Place the covered pot into the oven, and allow to cook for 2.5 hours.
- About two hours into the process, remove the crème fraîche or heavy whipping cream, sour cream, and cream cheese from the fridge, allow to warm up a bit, then mix all three ingredients together until fully incorporated, and set aside.
- After about 2 hours, make the rice, according to package directions, reserve, and keep warm.
- Serving Suggestion 2: Individual Servings
1. Take 1/4 cup of the rice, and place in the middle of the plate.
2. Take 1/2 cup of the beef stroganoff, and place around the rice. The rice is like an island in the middle of a sea of beef.
3. Sprinkle a bit of paprika over the dish, for decoration.