Salpicon de Res Recipe/ Shredded Beef Salad
- 3 lb
- beef flank or skirt steak
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 1/3 c
- olive oil
- 1/4 c
- 1-2 tsp
- salt and pepper -- to taste
- tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large
- onion, thinly sliced
- serrano chiles, chopped or minced
- avocados, chopped
- whole queso cotija,it is crumbly/crumble by hand
How to Make Salpicon de Res Recipe/ Shredded Beef Salad
- 1Add the beef, onion and salt to a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is very tender. Remove the meat and reserve the stock for soup or other recipes. Shred the meat with your fingers when it is cool enough to handle.
- 2Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to a large bowl and whisk together. Add the tomatoes, sliced onion and chiles and toss together. Set a side for a few minutes to let the vegetables marinate.
- 3Gently toss the shredded beef and avocados with the marinated vegetables and adjust seasoning.Add the crumbled Cotija Cheese. Spread on a serving platter and serve chilled or at room temperature with warm tortillas,or Tostadas or some Lettuce,like a lettuce wrap
- 4Salpicón can also be made with chicken (salpicón de pollo), seafood (salpicón de mariscos) or tuna (salpicón de atún).
Other possible additions: chopped lettuce, chopped cucumbers, olives, pickled jalapeños.
Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro and crumbled queso fresco if you like.
Substitute lime juice for the vinegar for a more tropical flavor.