Grandma's Cabbage Burgers!
I make this an all day event when i make them due to the fact i make 5 dozen and freeze them... which turns out to be a waste of time with the kids running to the freezer every day saying "dont worry bout me for supper mom im just gonna grab a cabbage burger"
Here in Nebraska we have a fast food place called Runza and when i explain to my friends what a Cabbage Burger is they say "oh you mean a Runza?" and the debate starts they are 2 totally different things and not anywhere close to the same!!
- 6 lb
- hamburger (I use deer or elk)
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- 5 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 2 large
- 4 medium
- cabbage heads
- loaves of bread dough
- I have one person try these that stated they added cubes of potatoes to the filling as well!
- 1 c
- water, warm
- 1 Tbsp
- active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- 1/3 c
- powdered milk
- 1 tsp
- 1 large
- 1/4 c
- oil or butter (melted)
- 3 c
How to Make Grandma's Cabbage Burgers!
- 1Start by browning the meat using salt and pepper and garlic salt to taste. Add in 1 of the onions and 1 or 2 tablespoons of the garlic as well. Drain the meat and set aside.
- 2While you are browning the meat you should chop up the onions and cabbage. I like small chunks of onion and medium sized chunks of cabbage.
- 3Add cabbage, onion, and remaining garlic to large stalk pot add the burger on top of cabbage and mix. Season to taste with salt pepper and garlic salt.
- 4Let simmer on LOW heat till cabbage is tender.
- 5I use my bread machines to make the bread, add 1 tbsp yeast and 1 tbsp sugar to 1 cup warm water mix till dissolved and place in bread machine then add the other ingredients in order to the machine an set on dough setting.
- 6As soon as everything is ready to go, roll out dough and cut them into 12 squares large enough for a heaping 1/2 cup of the cabbage mixture. Fold up the corners and "just a pinch" to seal them and place them on a large cookie sheet.
- 7I have it set up so when I take one batch of bread dough out I start the next loaf right away so that by the time the cabbage burgers come out of the oven and cool I can be working on the next batch.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, till nice and golden brown. Lightly brush tops of rolls with butter. Serve right from the oven, and freeze the rest if there is any. Enjoy!!!
- 9You can cut this down but where I only do the majority of my baking in the winter I do it this away and freeze them.